Friday, April 25, 2014

The Bin

The sight of garbage is not always the alluring one. But one fine morning it did make me smile. For, it was in the right place, in The Bin. One would wonder what's so great about garbage in a bin? Well it is a wonder, when that fine morning you wake up during your train journey and The Bin is located under the basin at the end of the boogie. Its good to see that an effort is being made to keep our public spaces clean. Proudly I looked at it and smiled. 

Being an RAC passenger, I had to be on a constant lookout for the TC to try and get hold of a seat. And not always the TC presents himself. So I went to hunt him down hoping to make a successful prey of a berth. As luck has it, I am yet again disappointed. The TC declined any chances of getting a berth. I sigh and turn back towards my assigned boogie. As I pass a door, something catches my attention and I stop dead in my tracks. I say to myself(wide eyed), "did I just see that?" 

I remember the smile that crossed my face this morning. The wonderful feeling that things are changing for good. And here I am watching in disbelief the same smile being smudged, the same feeling being murdered right in front of my eyes. Never did I think of what happens to the accumulated garbage. Does it get collected in a separate compartment and then sorted for recycling? I guess it does. That's what I saw. A housekeeping guy emptying The Bin, carefully and with much precision, out of the door. There he stood inverting The Bin dispersing the garbage along the railway tracks. May be he gets a sense of satisfaction of helping the rag pickers with so much of material to collect. But wait a min, rag pickers 100kms away from the nearest village/town/city/any human settlement? Intriguing if that ever happens or may be soon we will get to see mountains of human garbage towering between the tracks.  

It took only a matter of few minutes for the delight to turn into disgust, pride turn into disappointment and the feel good external to flutter enough to show that the dust is still being swept off under the carpet. Sad indeed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, first let me congratulate you on your first posting after a very long time, years in fact!
At first I was startled, puzzled and a little disappointed to see that your first message after such a long absence was about “rubbish”. But as I read on, I realised your message is not literally about rubbish. It is in my humble opinion about your desire to see change, betterment and improvement. Hope for a better future, for your country and its citizens.
When I read this poem, I thought of you..
“When I sit down to write a book, (or message in a blog!!) I do not say to myself, ‘I am going to produce a work of art.’ I write it because there is some lie that I want to expose, some fact to which I want to draw attention, and my initial concern is to get a hearing.”
—George Orwell
So expose the lies, draw attention to the facts you want to highlight. Let the ink flow and unleash the writer within!!!! XXX