Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Fuss Class...

This week I happened to travel in the First class boogie for the first time. Fascinated as any Second class traveler might be, I was very enthusiastic about this particular journey. I found it quiet amusing to get the ticket without standing in a queue and looking at the smirking faces of those in the queue, while i proudly asked for a First class ticket. I felt like dancing on my way to train from the ticket counter .... I was performing a free style dance in my mind. Within moments the train arrived and I got into the dream boogie with red stripes across on the outside. Wow! There i was in the First class boogie, how exciting...

I looked around and found people rushing in and taking seats, reading news paper, talking on mobile phones. Hmmmm, something is missing, I thought! The train started and with passing stations it became clear what was missing.

Just before the train left, an old fellow got down and changed the boogie...the guys sitting across him laughed mockingly signing that they knew he wasn't a First class material.

A guy entered while the train was leaving the platforms...poor chap, he was panting so badly... he rushed to find a seat so that he can breath in some air. Unfortunately all the seats were taken. He tried accommodating his bag on one of the baggage carriers, but he was so exhausted that he couldn't even think of what he needs to do and looked confused. He paced across the cramped boogie twice before settling for a small space to keep his bag. Sweating profusely and still trying to catch a breath, he asked a passenger to make some place for him to sit. "No fourth seat?" the guy looked disappointed. With no other option left, he came and stood in the passage. The cool breeze relaxed him a bit.

Crowd started to increase with passing stations. Everyone was struggling to get some space to stand. And then the typical fight between passengers took place. Nothing new I told myself. The man standing in front of me was some 6 ft and quiet healthy. Within five mins of alighting the train he started to dose off and with no inhibition he was leaning against my small frail frame. The crowd wasn't as much as it is in Second class, but this man made me experience the rib crushing pressure one gets in Second class.
Somehow I managed to get down at my destination, and mind you the "getting down" felt no different from the Second class. Gosh! I thought, I don't feel any pride in traveling by First class anymore. Yes the crowd was a bit less than otherwise. But the passengers had so much of attitude, and not just the executive types but the regular passengers (probably some govt. employees who can now afford First class) too. Everyone had an air above themselves. They were no less rowdy. They displayed equally foul mouth as that of their Second class counterparts.
And above all, the thing that was missing ..............Humanity!

11 comments:

Priti L Mishall said...

Hi amol very nice description of the experience ....... I too had a similar experience so always took second class and till date have so good friends called as train friends grown in a family. We used to celebrate all festivals too. I can never forget those memories. Thanks for sharing the experience.

Keepsaker said...

i agree, but the crow is ever increasing and i think i might try first call for a month, but after this experience i will keep a check so tht i dont turn into someone like them tooo

Keepsaker said...

i meant crowd :)

Aaditya M. Joshi said...

I think the post was generalized... Well-written certainly, but slightly biased..

Keepsaker said...

Thanks aadi,
I totally agree that it is biased one. :)

Gay Man said...

Your observations are thoughtful and so true Amol!

Do keep writing. You show an insight which, to my mind, should be infused in every Mumbaikar.

Unknown said...

Very true amol..it really felt that it is my experience..that's why i also travel in second class only..

Anonymous said...

Good writing but I am not sure if it's true. Humanity is missing everywhere!

Keepsaker said...

i agree that this is not always true.....it was the first impression and it hit me hard.

Wild Reeds said...

Hi Keepsaker,
Really liked the title "Fuss Class". A similar experience awaits one at airports, but probably magnified a dozen times. The attitude many air travelers give each other is frightening. And also perplexing, because, the reason the two people showing each other attitude are in the same place waiting to board the plane is that they can BOTH afford air tickets! I think a lot of attitude stems from a sense of insecurity. People want to feel better about themselves by believing that they have "arrived" in life. They do that by excluding others. Common human trait, but magnified in a power-distanced society like ours.
Once more, well-written!

Keepsaker said...

Hi Wildreeds,

Thanks m glad u liked it. well traveling in first class itself is perceived by most as a privileged or luxury. i can imagine the pride ppl (not all but quiet a lot of them)wld hav in traveling by air.

someday i will be writing abt tht tooo :)
and thanks to u i remembered another incident so lookout for Fuss Class II. :)