Sunday, February 8, 2009

Unusual inspiration...

I have always been a movie buff. Movies not just entertain me, but at times take me in a trance. There is something more that attracts me to movies. And I face unusual situations after watching some movies.

One such situation happens to be today after watching a movie "Namesake". A topic so regularly explored by so many directors, but what differentiates this movie from any other movie on similar topic is the treatment given to it. There is no persuation from either side, there is no advocacy of western or Indian lifestyle. The movie is plain reflection of a family settled abroad and about a name Gogol. Throughout the movie I became more and more eager to read that book of Nickoli Gogol. My fascination of the book was at peak when finally Kal Penn starts to read it towards the end of the movie. He read a line from the tale ... and ... it struck to me that i know the story, I have read it.

Few years back I had bought a book called "The Russian Short-stories". It had this tale, "The Cloak" by N.V.Gogol that i read very unintrestingly. Back then, I found most of the russian stories more difficult to understand. But today a movie has compelled me to pull out that book from my shelf and read it again.....but with much more intent and conviction!

3 comments:

Priti L Mishall said...

hey, I too agree with it. I and Lalit too loved the movie, I saw it in April 06, when i came to visit Ny on one month leave from college and meet lalit too. It was a touching experience too. Keep it up!

Wild Reeds said...

Dear Keepsaker,
Wow... though I like the short stories genre, don't think I have read many Russian ones myself. Great that you could make the connection between the line you read and the dialogue in the film.

Keepsaker said...

hey Wild Reeds,
i will pass on the short story book tht i have. I am sure u will like them as well.